[mythtv-users] LiveTV locks frontend

Anthony Zawacki aczmail at cox.net
Tue Apr 17 15:44:11 UTC 2007

This is a puzzle to me, looking for input.

I started with a FC6 FE/BE combination with a PVR-150 using MythTV
version .20-153 from ATRPMS.  I am using on-board video out, which is an
ATI Radeon 9100 IGP using ATI's binary drivers.  Recording and playback
works fine, but whenever I attempt to watch LiveTV, the system locks up
to the point that I have to hit the power button to restore it.  It is
no longer available on the network nor does control-alt-backspace or
control-alt-delete reset the machine.

I can use mplayer to play /dev/video0 and the equivalent to LiveTV
displays without problem.

I assumed that there was some type of bug in the ATI drivers that MythTV
was hitting causing the kernel to deadlock or something similar.

Recently, I configured a MiniMyth FE which has an Nvidia 4400MX card,
and I am using the Nvidia 7184 legacy drivers for this card.  When I
compiled MiniMyth, I chose 20-Stable as the version of MythTV to build.
The odd thing is that I see the exact same behavior.  The FE locks so
that only the power switch can recover.  The BE continues working
without a hitch.

Now I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot and diagnose this problem.
Any suggestions as to where to start?  What information is required?

Thanks,
Anthony