[mythtv-users] I can watch, but I can't record

Rich Wilson richaw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:20:32 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Rich Wilson <richaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Watching live TV works fine (although not analog TV, but I assume that's
> > a different question). However, if I go to program guide and start a
> > recording, and then try to watch it, I just see noise, as if an analog
> > TV is tuned to a non-existent channel.
> >
> > If I delete the recording and try to watch live TV, I get the same thing.
> > I can't watch TV again until I quit and restart the backend.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > Using the current svn release-0-20-fixes, pcHDTV 5500, ATSC, antenna,
> > combined backend/frontend, openSUSE 10.2.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Rich Wilson
> > richaw at gmail.com
>
> Reads like a problem with your Tuner setup.  Have you got more than 1
> tuner defined?  You say you've got the pcHDTV 5500, do you have it's
> analog "tuner" defined?  That may be your problem if you do.  Make
> sure only your 5500 is defined.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Chad

Thanks Chad, you pointed me in the right direction.
One problem solved, another still there:

In mythtv-setup, under Input connections, I had defined
[V4L:/dev/video0](Television) to be antenna. When I changed
that connection back to (None), the recording function now works.
But now, tuning to an analog channel doesn't even pretend to
work, like it used to. It just returns to whatever channel I was
watching before.

Looking at the wiki, it looks like I have some reading to do.
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_PCHDTV_card_for_ATSC
If anyone has other pointers for configuring the pcHDTV 5500 for
both ATSC and NTSC, I'd appreciate them. I'll study the above
wiki page and try to implement it tonight.

Rich

--
Rich Wilson
richaw at gmail.com