[mythtv-users] Problems with NFS

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 17 15:00:03 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 8:49 AM, nasa01 at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having an issue with my NFS mounts.   I have a raid server,
> which stores media files (music, video, pictures, etc).
>
> My problem:  I can mount the NFS directories without issue and I
> can read files from those directories also with no issues.
> However, if I try and move/copy a file from a directory locally
> located on the machine onto a NFS mounted directory the move/copy
> will start and then hang.  looking at the process using 'ps aux'
> shows the applicable process hanging with a D+.  Anyone have any
> idea what could be causing this?  From the computer that has the
> NFS directories mounted, I can 'cd' into the NFS mounted directory
> and create files.  ie: I could do "touch test" and "rm test"
> without issue.
>
> I based my NFS settings after following/checking here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.10
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Optimizing_Performance

Well the literal interpretation of that status is "uninterruptible
sleep (usually IO) in the foreground process group", but Unix error
messages can sometimes be deceptive.

Are you moving/copying the files from a command line with mv or cp?
Or are you using some other method of initiating the transfer?

Most problems I have had with NFS turn out to be permission related,
though this does not at first blush seem to be your trouble. If you
change permissions to 777 for testing don't forget to put them back
afterwards.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org