[mythtv-users] Compile Problem - 0.20 on SuSE 10.1

Graham Smith gqsmith at tpg.com.au
Tue Apr 17 06:27:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> > >  Graham,
> > >
> > >  Thanks, I tried using the 10.1 boot disk for FTP install, then put in
> > > a server and directory for a 10.2 install. I installed the entire
> > > system and when I re-booted the system hung after grub. I guess that I
> > > assumed that the kernel just wasn't compiled for this processor. Is
> > > there some other trick to get this to work?

> Mark,
>
> Honestly I didn't investigate this very much.  The system was unable to
> boot after install so I just put the disk back in the machine and installed
> 10.1 figuring it was a kernel problem.  Basically the boot loader would
> come up, I'd choose SuSE 10.2 then the SuSE splash would come up and
> freeze.  I wasn't able to hit ESC quickly enough to see the output.
>
> That being said I'm still not sure why I can't compile Myth on 10.1 and I'm
> not sure why the Pacman packages for 10.1 crash...

I suspect that your problem booting 10.2 was to do with the power management
package - (powersaved). I normally do not install this package on VIA
motherboards (You have to fight Yast to stop the package being installed)
Once installed you end up in a catch 22 situation of trying to disable CPU
frequency management but it hangs trying to boot.

Please refer to http://en.opensuse.org/VIA for more info.

Also try booting in "safemode" as it disables the power management.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith