[mythtv-users] More than one backend?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 16 20:53:05 UTC 2007

On 16 Apr 2007, at 21:03, Rob Beard wrote:
> Well I was thinking that if I had a BT878 card in the front end PC I
> could run my Playstation 2 through it (and get rid of a AV switch
> box at
> the same time).

Probably not a great idea.

I think MythTV has a lag of a couple of seconds when playing live TV,
so that you'll only see the alien you're supposed to shoot 2 seconds
_after_ it has leapt out at you. Even if this is not the case, any
framebuffer capture card introduces _some_ lag - I've read gaming
forums on which the posters complain even about lags in the order of
0.06 - 0.2 seconds.

The best way to connect the Gamecube to a TV is via component. In
Europe RGB SCART is a very acceptable alternative and the US S-Video
is probably OK. I would imagine PS2 connections are similar. I don't
consider myself a "connoisseur" but find composite - the yellow cable
supplied with most consoles - to give quite a poor picture.

Connections depend very much on the TV, and even were you to spend
£1000 on a current model you'd be advised to shop around quite
carefully to get the best connections for MythTV & console picture-
quality. Ideally you might connect MythTV to your telly via HDMI, DVI
or VGA, your PS2 via the next highest-quality input available and get
rid of whatever else is using the switchbox; either MythTV will
accommodate the functionality of that device, or you're facing the
insoluble switchbox problem experienced by all gamers everywhere.  ;)

Stroller.