[mythtv-users] Closed captioning question?

Dave Carrigan dave at rudedog.org
Mon Apr 16 17:45:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've been using Myth 0.18 with a PVR-350 for both capture and
display. The PVR-350 seems to capture closed-caption data, and when
viewing recorded programs, I can see the captions if I turn on the
TV's caption decoder. This isn't optimal because the captions also
block out Myth's on-screen menus.

There are also lots of other display limitations of the PVR-350, so I
am thinking of changing to a GeForce FX5200 for display. I would
continue to use the 350 for capture. I will also upgrade to the
latest Myth/ivtv/etc. at the same time.

Before I spend the money, I would like to get confirmation from
somebody with similar hardware that display of closed captions does
indeed work with this setup. I prefer to use Myth to do the caption
decoding/display rather than use the TV's caption decoder, but either
is acceptable. What isn't acceptable is no support for captions.

If this is not possible with a PVR-350, I would also like suggestions
on a different capture card that will make it possible.

Thanks for any insight from anybody on the list.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA