[mythtv-users] Tuner cards that do HD?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:38:48 UTC 2007

On 4/16/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> <snip>
> There is one slightly difficult bit: Not in getting the hardware to
> work, but in matching it to your cable lineup (see below).
> The hardware side is dead easy.

<snip>

So although myth can identify 'a' channel, at 74#3 it has NO knowledge
> about how that stream is identified at zap2it. It is up to the user to
> determine that the one originally called '74#3' is really described as
> 125 by your cablco....and that 125 is xmltvid 10123, callsign WXYZ.
>
> Once you tell myth that you want the channel tuned at 74#3 described as
> 'Channel 125' and 'WXYZ' (as listed by zap2it) it knows how to pull down
> the listings for the channel, and to tune that channel when requested.
>
> Now whether the mythfilldatabase listings actually match the tv
> listings, and whether you have actually discovered the correct channel
> are......unknown...

Gee whiz, this is unintuitive.  Have there been any discussions on making
this easier for end users?  Could we start a central repository of
geographical mappings based on each service provider so only one poor soul
has to go through this pain?  I wonder if Zap2It could be expanded to
provide this mapping for us...

/Brian/