[mythtv-users] What differences do you see between Standard/ffmpeg and libmpeg2?

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:46:33 UTC 2007

On 4/15/07, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> I ran into an interesting bug yesterday with an ATSC recording that
> always kills mythfrontend, even in the preview window; please see
> <URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3312> for
> details. Interestingly, the bug only occurs when using the Standard
> (ffmpeg) decoder, not libmpeg2. I use ATrpms 0.20-155 r13228 (but have
> seen the bug at least as far back as 151) with the ffmpeg
> 0.4.9-19_r7407 and libmpeg2_0-0.4.1-3 (both the latest ATrpms
> versions) on a Fedora Core 6 x86_64 distribution running on a Pentium
> 4 EM64T system.
>
> This brings me to my main question: Just what other differences do
> people find between the ffmpeg and libmpeg2 decoders?

I havnt done any serious benchmarking, but I tried both when I first
built my box. I didnt notice any performance differences between the
2, but I preferred the ffmpeg method. It just seemed to look
sharper/cleaner to my eyes. I am running Ubuntu 64 on an AMD 4200+ X2,
1G DDR2 800, Nvidia 6200, with Myth fixes SVN from mid march or so.

The only issues I see are with some ghosting and slight combing
artifacts with some 1080i sources, which I see with both libs, and all
deinterlacing algorithms. I'm outputting to 720p via DVI-HDMI.
-J

> Let's first go to what mythfrontend 0.20-fixes says:
>
>    * ffmpeg: "Standard will use ffmpeg library." Not much help.
>    * libmpeg2: "libmpeg2 will use mpeg2 library; this is faster on
>      some AMD processors."

[snip]