[mythtv-users] Seeking back through live TV buffers very hit and miss

Neil Milne neil.milne at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 09:13:00 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I have a problem which has probably been around since the switch to
separate program buffer files for each program watched in live TV
rather than a single buffer file.

I'm using DVB-T in the UK, so all my recordings are mpeg2.

Basically, if I seek back through live TV the frontend very often gets
'stuck' at program boundaries. Sometimes it will sit for 30 seconds or
more at the start of the program buffer and then if I am lucky it will
jump back to the *start* of the previous program, but more often it
will just give up and leave itself where it was in the current buffer.
It's extremely irritating when this happens as it's usually when the
kids are watching Cbeebies which has loads of 5-10 minute programs so
there are a lot of Live TV buffer files kicking around and it's almost
guaranteed that I will need to cross a boundary if they want to watch
something again.

Any ideas what's going on? Is it a seektable problem? I noticed the
other day when I moved a Live TV program into my standard recording
group to keep it that it did not have any seektable info with it -
either it was lost during the group move or it was never created at
all. Is there supposed to be seektable info for live TV files?

I'm running a fairly up-to-date 0.20-fixes svn with a few patches
applied from the trunk where I figured they might fix the issue, but
no joy so far.

Is anyone else seeing this at all? I guess it's probably visible to
anyone using Live TV and recording mpeg2 video if other people are
affected...?

--
Neil Milne