[mythtv-users] MythTV performance in a demanding real-life environment

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:23:43 UTC 2007

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Mon Apr 09, 2007 at 10:20:09AM -0400, raphael wrote:
>> To up the GAF I commflag everything concurrently with the recording. I
>> think it's niced, so you never have skips during the recording; the
>
> If you have your JobQueue CPU usage setting set to Low or Medium, then
> yes mythcommflag does run nice(17).  With ~realtime flagging, the
> Low vs Medium doesn't matter, because the ClassicCommDetector (aka
> the All, Blank Frame, Scene Change, etc. flaggers) will regulate its
> own speed to stay 30 seconds behind realtime/live.
>
>> recording takes precedent. Often just a few minutes after I start
>> watching the show it will start autoskipping commercials. Commflagging
>
> Yes.  When you start watching a recording that is not currently flagged,
> the player sends out a COMMFLAG_REQUEST event.  If a flagger is currently
> running for that program, it takes note that someone is watching the
> recording.  If you are watching an unflagged recording and mythcommflag
> starts for that recording, mythcommflag sends out a COMMFLAG_START event
> and the player responds with a COMMFLAG_REQUEST event so that the
> flagger knows you are watching the recording.  When the flagger knows
> that someone is watching a recording, it sends out updates to the
> commercial skip list ever so often when it detects changes in the list.
> This is what allows you to skip commercials while mythcommflag is
> still flagging the recording.  This is one of the main components of
> the ~realtime flagging feature.
>
> --
> Chris

And this is just great. I was ridiculously impressed the first time it
started skipping commercials before the recording was even finished. It
also impresses other people who happen to be over checking out the
machine. Thanks for explaining how this works as well - I don't like to
use something if I don't know why it's working.
I don't know how these threads always get away from me, sorry for
posting again in here six days later everyone.

Raphael