[mythtv-users] Wireless Frontend

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:11:07 UTC 2007

Chris Isip wrote:
> I've always thought that it helps to have the wireless router hooked up
> to your mythbackend via wired ethernet and your frontends connecting via
> wireless.

Yeah that's the method I use. The other way around I didn't have enough
bandwidth.

> The reasoning being  that a backend and  frontend
> communicating with each other  wirelessly  through a router would  have
> the  wireless bandwidth  effectively halved.

<snip>

> Also, does anybody know if WPA decrease wifi bandwidth?  I currently use
> WEP which I know is next to no security at all but I need to secure my
> mythbox as it does other server duties as well.

Encryption adds overhead; it's not free. WPA should not take any more
than WEP already uses, I believe, don't know for sure. I don't think
removing encryption to increase bandwidth is an advisable solution, at
least not in my house where there are also windows machines on the
wireless as well.

> One feature that would be nice to see in mythtv would be automatic
> adjustments of video quality according to available bandwidth which is
> what slingbox claims to do.   I would prefer a momentary drop in quality
> over a pause in playback.  So far as I know, there is no support of
> anything like this in any linux streaming software.

Seeing as the recordings you're watching have already been compressed to
a certain specification you made when you set the recording rule, you
would need the backend to be re-encoding what you're watching on the fly
based on monitoring the wireless signal.

I just went into the recording profiles and set my bitrate so that I had
no hiccups on the wireless frontend. It took only a few minutes of back
and forth testing using live tv on the wireless frontend.

Raphael