[mythtv-users] partitioning scheme

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Sun Apr 15 13:42:23 UTC 2007

On Apr 14, 2007, at 6:20 PM, matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm about to set up a new hard drive for my parents' MythTV system.
> I'm just wondering what kind of partitioning scheme is the "best"
> for a Myth system?
>
> I know there's no single "best" way, I'm just trying to figure out
> what the pros and cons of doing it one way or the other are.
>
> For every Linux machine I've ever built, I've always used separate
> partitions for /, /boot, /usr, /tmp, /var, /home and swap (swap
> obviously has to be its own partition).  But I feel like this may
> not be the most optimal use of space.
>
> It's 500 GB drive, and I'll be running Gentoo.

Coming from a IT background, I like you always partitioned my work
boxes similar to what you described. I also always used LVM to save
myself headaches in the future.

For my Gentoo box I decided that having /, /boot, and /var/video, was
good enough. I setup 50MB /boot, 30G /, and gave the rest to /var/
video. No LVM either. For Gentoo this kept the installation simple
(no LVM to contend with) and works well. Just watch out not to store
stuff in the /home/mythtv dir for long periods of time as you could
fill up / in doing so. However once you get your MythTV running
smooth that's generally not something you do anyway.

--
Scott