[mythtv-users] DVI connection overscan

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Sat Apr 14 18:34:44 UTC 2007

> Alex Malinovich wrote:
>> I have my Myth box hooked up to my TV via a DVI-to-HDMI converter cable.
>> The video card feeds DVI out, and the TV takes HDMI in. What's strange,
>> however, is that I still get a fair amount of overscan on the TV. I had
>> thought that in the case of DVI and newer connections the full signal
>> resolution is sent to the TV as part of the signal so no overscan is
>> needed.
>>
>> I've overcome this with Myth by manually scaling the window, but I'd
>> prefer to not have to do that and to instead have the full screen
>> properly displayed. I had heard that the nvidia-settings utility has
>> overscan compensation, but I'm pretty sure that that's only when using a
>> TV-out signal, not a direct DVI signal. (If that setting is still there
>> with a DVI connection I certainly can't find it, and the interface
>> really isn't all that complex.)
>>
>> So anyone know what's causing the overscanning and how to fix it?
>>

> I also have a DVI-HDMI cable hooked up to my TV, and at first there was
> an insane amount of overscan. Messing around with the modeline you can
> get rid of some of it. I used xvidtune and found a modeline I liked. It
> still doesn't get rid of overscan completely; it seems that's either
> impossible or just too hard for me to find the magic numbers. The other
> way you could do it is by going into your TV's maintenance menus; some
> have a function to actually change the overscan there. It is the TV's
> and not your computer's fault the overscan is there after all.
> However, I wouldn't recommend futzing with the service menus - you can
> "brick" your TV if you do something wrong. I just accept the overscan
> and set the myth UI to take up 100% of the visible screen. Works great,
> since all I ever see on that input is myth anyway.
>
> Raphael

I found the same problem when I first connected my geforce fx 5200 to my
sharp aquos through dvi->hdmi. I ended up using powerstrip in windows on
another machine with the same video card. I started with the native
resolution of my screen then cropped the picture within powerstrip and it
gave me a modeline suitable for use with X. Overall it works pretty well,
except I've found certain versions of the nvidia driver seem to ignore my
custom modeline.