[mythtv-users] Wireless Frontend

brian turbo at talstar.com
Sat Apr 14 16:42:10 UTC 2007

Charles H. Chapman wrote:
>  > I'm using wireless 54g just fine... for SD. I doubt 54g would do HD
>  > for you but that's just a hunch.
>
> This is a myth (so to speak) that I've been trying to dispel without
> much luck.  802.11G has more than enough bandwidth to do HD -- I use it
> in my house without so much as a hickup.

   One isolated incident of 802.11G working in one house does little to
help you dispel what you term as a 'myth'.

> The key is to set up the access point for a little less than the maximum speed of 54 MB/s.  Force
> it to use something less, like 48 MB/s or 36 MB/s, so that retries will
> not be necessary.  The other key to using wireless it to not use
> encryption for controlling access -- that adds overhead (and thus
> decreases bandwidth).  Use MAC address filtering instead.

   Another key might be to locate one's residence (or whatever location
their 802.11G implementation might be installed) outside of the
influence of any deliberate or incidental radiators that may interfere
with and/or impede the optimal operation of their 802.11G devices.
These things include, but are certainly not limited to:  commercial
radio towers, cellular towers, commercial paging systems, commercial or
residential security systems, short-range two-way paging systems,
microwave repeater systems, electrical sub-stations, railway yards,
various industrial manufacturing facilities, airports, public safety
substations, cordless telephones, doorbells, baby monitors, faulty
insulators on overhead electric wires, garage door openers, proximity
triggered automatic doors, neighbors who *also* are running 802.11G
equipment, etc;  all of these things (and many more) can and do
interfere with the optimal operation of any RF-based device, 802.11G
networks included.

> I think the
> people on this list who complain about wireless not working have not
> tried these methods.

   I think the people on this list who complain about those who complain
about wireless not performing well may not have considered the many
numerous environmental factors that might negatively affect the
performance of wireless network equipment in a given situation at a
specific location.  There's a bit more to the equation than simply
determining if the maximum bits/sec that you wish to transport falls
within the optimal performance parameters on the wireless product's
specification sheet.  Those numbers tell you the theoretical maximum;
the practical maximum may be significantly less.

   In short.. I'm glad 802.11G is working for you, streaming HD content
and all.  :)  That situation, sadly, is probably closer to the exception
than the rule... and in ten minutes, a week, or a year, things over
which you have no control may very well negatively affect your wireless
network performance, degrading it to point where you cannot effortlessly
stream HD content across it.

  - brian