[mythtv-users] HDDs optimised for PVRs

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Apr 14 02:57:00 UTC 2007

Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> says:
> Anyone recording enough streams to need the extra performance will
> be running multiple disks anyhow.

Right. Video-oriented hard drives may make sense in one- or two-drive
DVRs when quiet is paramount over other factors. My 2000-vintage
Series 1 TiVo shipped with 4200RPM video-HDs because the TiVo did not
need the drives to be any faster and greater speed simply produced
excess heat and noise.

However, in any RAID scenario, performance does matter. From my three
RAID arrays' perspectives, my MythTV recordings are just
unusually-large files, nothing more and nothing less.