[mythtv-users] First Stab at a Shopping List

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Apr 13 23:25:22 UTC 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007 17:28, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2007 16:53:05 R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
> > Cable providers are not *required* to change from analog delivery when
> > the broadcast world goes digital.
>
> I've actually heard that here in the US, it'll be a government-mandated
> thing, and cable providers can't do analog anymore after like 2009 or
> something like that.

2009 is when the government-mandated cutoff on NTSC **OTA BROADCASTS** is to
take effect. AFAIK, this does *NOT* affect cable companies. As others have
stated, cable companies might well choose to make the switch at the same time
because it'll be convenient, but I have yet to see an authoritative claim
(with references to US law) that cable companies will be required to
discontinue NTSC service in 2009 or at any other time. Some cable companies
are reportedly claiming that they're being forced to make this change, but
this seems to be a lie used to shift the blame for their own decisions when
customers object. If you've got a reference to actual US law that says
otherwise, I'd certainly be interested in seeing it.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com