[mythtv-users] [lirc] Unable to get MythTV to respond to lirc (Ubuntu Feisty)

John Daleske john at daleske.com
Fri Apr 13 22:57:59 UTC 2007

I figured it out!

First, I had to find the correct log to monitor.  On Ubuntu MythTV, the
log file for the frontend is at:
/home/mythtv/.xsession-errors

I did a tail -f of that log file and noticed an entry indicating that
MythTV failed to open the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc file because it
had too many symbolic links.  I must have mis-entered the link.

So, I removed the link and just copied the correct file directly there
and restarted the frontend.

The remote WORKS!  Thanks to those who responded to me to help point in
the right direction!
+ John
> Have been using Ubuntu Feisty as my first time getting MythTV working.
>
> I have followed the steps (many times) provided in the Ubuntu install
> section.
>
> When I run "irw", it does show the commands.  I noticed that the
> .lircrc sample had all the keys in lower case, e.g. "chanup", whereas
> my mceusb2 conf generates "ChanUp".  So, I edited those and restarted
> MythTV.  Still did nothing.
>
> I've looked through all the user mails and many sites looking for some
> ideas.
>
> I did a verbose on running the frontend.  While it did not explicitly
> indicate a lirc failure, I did get (twice):
> X Error: Bad Device.  invalid or uninitialized input device 154
>   Major opcode: 145
>   Minor opcode:   3
>   Resource id: 0x0
> Failed to open device
>
> It may be that I didn't have the entire environment set up right.  I
> opened a plain openbox session, rather than the mythtv session, and
> entered "mythfrontend -v".

Sounds like your lirc.conf is good. Take a look at the startup debug
info of mythfrontend to see where the frontend is getting its .lircrc
file. Make sure that file is the correct one.

Did you compile your own Mythtv? Make sure lirc support is compiled in.