[mythtv-users] Trouble removing ads with mythtranscode

Benton Roberts benton at panix.com
Fri Apr 13 21:52:27 UTC 2007

Hello again, folks.

Regarding my problem removing commercials with mythtranscode on the
command-line...

dsmolka wrote:
> You'll have an easier time doing this if you use
> nuvexport rather than mythtranscode
I'd rather not install an unnecessary tool, especially one that does not
auto-update with the rest of my binary-only production box.

William wrote:
> Set up a transcode profile for lossless mpeg to mpeg transcoding
That works, but replaces the original file with the commercials-removed
file. While this may be desirable for some, I don't want to actually
delete content that might be incorrectly flagged from the
full-resolution (archival) source. The flagging works well enough that
auto-skip is fine when playing pack the full-resolution source.

Instead, I am coding this functionality into a script that strips
ads in high-resolution, then transcodes the result for iPod, then adds
the correct XML to the Podcast feed I created for our home media server.
The result is that my family can subscribe to the feed, then just sync a
video iPod in the morning to automatically get all the latest
ad-stripped shows on the device.

Chris wrote:
> Use something like this:
>    mythtranscode --honorcutlist --mpeg2 --showprogress
>        -c CHANID -s STARTTIME -o $OUTFILE
We have a winner! This works as expected and documented.

Since the default MythTV filename is CHANID_STARTTIME, making this
change to my script was trivial. Now it works great, and the family
podcast is ad-free.

So, mystery resolved. Props to Chris.

Thanks for your input, gents,
-benton