[mythtv-users] I tried and tried, but I can't divorce Myth...

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 18:39:35 UTC 2007

On 13 Apr 2007, at 17:20, Geoff Mishkin wrote:

> I know you are making a joke, but does XP MCE have all the network
> and split frontend/backend features that Myth does?

Yes and no - new 'frontends' require buying specific hardware called
"mce extenders", or an Xbox 360

> I already use split frontend/backend, since my laptop is the only
> machine fast enough to decode HD video, but I need a desktop
> machine to put the HD-3000 in.  I'm going to be moving to a multi-
> backend setup as soon as the HD-5500 is better supported.  MythTV
> really is a godsend for people with requirements like mine.  Does
> anything else even come close?

MCE looks nice, and it's quite nice to navigate, but over time it'll
drive you crazy is it can be annoyingly unintuitive. There's also no
MHEG or DVB radio for example.

Some features out-and-out make MythTV look crap; the music player on
MCE is, IMHO quite brilliant.