[mythtv-users] First Stab at a Shopping List

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 13 17:21:32 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:

>>> Well -- Since this is a PoC, I think I'm going to stick with the HD-5500
>>> for now.  I want to at least scan my cable again, and confirm the
>>> channels I'm getting.
>>>
>> The problem I see is that you said you want to prove to you wife that this is
>> the way to go. If you have problems tuning QAM stations, that won't exactly
>> help your case. If cost is an issue, consider this: You quoted a price of
>> $129 for the pcHDTV 5500, and that seems about right, though I've not
>> verified it. The AVerMedia AVerTVHD A180 is $76 at Amazon and the Hauppauage
>> PVR-150 is $56-$80, depending on which package version you get (with or
>> without remote, etc.). That makes the total cost of the two-card combination
>> $132-$156, or as little as $3 more than a pcHDTV 5500 alone. That gives you
>> more flexibility, since you'll be able to record two things simultaneously,
>> and when you record NTSC you won't be chewing up ~1GHz of your CPU speed.
>> Even aside from my questions about the pcHDTV's QAM reception ability, IMHO
>> the two-card configuration is superior, assuming you've got the slots to
>> handle two cards.
>>
> Sold.
>
> -Dave

Better yet, grab  the Hauppauge card and an HDHomeRun, giving you 3
tuners, 2 of which are digital, since digital only is coming soon in the
  USA,,,and slowly, thereafter, to Canada. Only one slot needed, but
slightly more expensive.

Once you understand how NOT watching live tv changes things, you will
realize how easy it is to want to record 2 programs at once... (while
you are watching a recording made a week or two ago..)

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor