[mythtv-users] Building a FrontEnd Box (please help)

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:36:40 UTC 2007

Brian Foddy wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 08:34 pm, Raphael wrote:
>> clemens at dwf.com wrote:
>>> There was a thread on this list back the beginning of March discussing
>>> a FE Box (FrontEnd Box) that Shane Hickey wanted to build to replace a
>>> box that died.  I would like to get some similar comments on a box that I
>>> want to build.
>>>
>>> The difference here is that everything I have is Intel, and I would hate
>>> to have this one box be AMD unless there are really good reasons to go
>>> that way.
>> Well there are always good reasons for both sides. Intel has the
>> performance crown right now; and I like AMD because I'm always rooting
>> for the underdog. Not going to try and convert anyone though, to buy an
>> A64X2 over a C2D for the same price wouldn't be too prudent right now,
>> unless you had AMD mobos lying around - which you obviously don't from
>> your post.
>> <snip>
>>
>>> **CPU**
>>> I cant see any advantage to using a dual core processor in this machine.
>>> It would
>>> be *nice* to have two processors working from the same memory image, but
>>> thats not
>>> going to be the case.   So, I would suggest
>>>
>>>     Intel P4 631 (3.2GHz 60nm)  at about $75
>> Comment about not needing dual core understood, except that maybe you
>> might want to try a C2D because of other reasons, like heat and noise. I
>> think those lower clocked C2Ds only pull something like 70W of power. A
>> 3.2GHz P4, must be a Prescott(?); isn't that going to be a scorcher? I
>> really don't like hearing cpu or power supply fans kick in.
>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> **Memory**
>>> Either 1 or 2GB of memory
>>>
>>> 	2x 512kB        at $94
>>>   or    2x 1GB          at $272 (faster)
>> For the price/perf ratio 1GB looks good there to me. That's what I use.
>> Actually in my other frontend there's only 512MB and it's doing fine.
>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> **Sound**
>>> Either the onboard or a SoundBlaster Live!, I think I have an extra
>>> around the house
>> My SB live works well for output (I used it for capture a while back
>> with mixed results). In general I found the SB was better than the
>> onboard sound on two of my boards; they're older boards though.
>> Good luck.
>> Raphael
>>
> Not sure how it would have compared to an Intel duo-core, but my recently
> built X2-3800EE for my parents has some real nice cpu slowdown and
> fan quieting features.  Most of the time (even while playing HD tv) the
> cpu runs at only 1000Mhz (1/2 speed).  When the machine is totally idle,
> the cpu fan completely STOPS, with the core temp stable about 30C.
> That's sweet.

Good lord that's what I want.
I have a 939 X2 3800+ that idles around 40C with the fan going at 850rpm.
I guess mine is the 89W model though since it's 939; they never made the
EEs for that socket I think.
Did you do anything special like mill the bottom of the heatsink? I'm
thinking that might help in my case.
Raphael