[mythtv-users] Ok Backend seems worked out, in my head -- just a couple more frontend questions

Brian Guilfoos mythtv at guilfoos.com
Fri Apr 13 12:40:49 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:
> That alone would eliminate the DVD stuff from my console.

You could also eliminate the VCR.  I have a spare PVR-500 input (only
one sat box right now) that I have hooked up to a VCR, allowing me to
"rip" VHS tapes and stick them directly into the recordings list.  If
you have a finite number of tapes your kids watch, you could set up your
MythTV box, hook up the VCR, "rip" the tapes, and then repurpose that
tuner as a regular tuner hooked to a regular video source.

You'll have to poke around in the archives to see exactly how that's
done.  I can't recall the specifics off the top of my head.  Maybe I'll
spend some time putting a HOWTO on the wiki.

An excellent place to start:

Or you could just temporarily hook up your VCR, capture everything
outside of MythTV, edit the videos, and stick 'em in the MythVideo
directory (as mentioned in that thread).

Either way, unless you have a huge number of videos (and capturing them
all is unrealistic), or you regularly get new videos (or borrow them),
you could realistically banish your VCR to storage.