[mythtv-users] (Re)order channels?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:41:45 UTC 2007

On 12/04/07, Michael Ransburg <michael.ransburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what's the best way to reorder channels in MythTV? I have scanned all
> my DVB-S Transponders and now I got like several hundred channels
> (both radio and TV). I would like to move the channels which I watch
> regularly to the start of the channel list. What's the most efficient
> way to accomplish this?
>
> I googled and there were suggestions to use mythweb. I checked that
> but I'm not really sure what I should do in the "configure channels"
> sections. Changing the channum's seems to be rather cumbersome since
> if I change one channel, e.g. from 10 to 1, I also have to change all
> others, i.e. the "old" number 1 to 2, the old number 2 to 3 and so on.
>
> Isn't there a simple "move up" "move down" feature for the channel list?

I don't think there is.

For manipulating the database I find phpmyadmin (or possibly
myphpadmin) fairly easy.

If you're going to allocate non-standard channel numbers I'd recommend:

a)  backing up your database first - in case you break something

b)  use new channel numbers away from those that are automatically
allocated. eg. start your new numbers at 10001 (assuming that you
don't have any real numbers in that sort of range)

c)  test your channels afterwards (at least the ones you care about)

Beware that changing the channel number of the starting channel may
cause recordings and livetv to fail.

There may be other gotchas with automatic channel scanning, EIT guide
data, new channels etc.