[mythtv-users] Scan for channels not working with 2.6.20 kernel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 13 05:40:17 UTC 2007

On 04/12/2007 12:08 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2007 10:42:09 Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> DVB channel scanning doesn't work for me using Axel's latest 0.20 mythtv
>> builds,
> This is now fixed in the release-0-20-fixes branch. Turned out to be related
> to the us-cable-irc (in my case) frequency tables being out of whack just
> enough to throw off the scanner. Of course, I don't know exactly why it used
> to work and stopped working, but...

Yeah.  There must have been another change (perhaps in drivers or
something), too, that had some effect.  But, as long as it's working, now...

BTW, Jarod, nice work on the backport...  I verified it a bit ago (not a
lack of trust, but I knew the whole history of the changes and which
were most critical, so I wanted to verify nothing got lost).  The only
thing that surprised me was that you didn't put in US_MAX_CHAN and
EIA_542_FREQUENCY (which were for long-term maintenance, so aren't
important) since it meant you had to calculate values yourself.  I would
have put them in just so I didn't have to think as hard.  :)

> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/13219
>
> Big thanks to Janne Grunau for putting up with me/helping me sort through some
> bad hardware and umpteen changesets to track down the fix, and thanks to Mike
> Dean for writing the patches to begin with (they've been in svn trunk for a
> few months now).

Note that these changes may break your already-configured US channels,
so...  (Only those using one of the US frequency tables will be
affected--others can disregard the warnings below.)

US Digital TV users:
    - Once you upgrade, please test that you can tune channels before
leaving Myth to record on its own...
    - If you had specified /any/ finetuning on channels--especially if
you're using HRC or IRC--please test those channels, or just wipe out
all finetune values before starting mythbackend and things should work well.
    - And, for anyone who updates and has /any/ issues with tuning,
please rescan all your channels.

US Analog TV users:
    - If you had specified /any/ finetuning on channels--especially if
you're using HRC or IRC--please test those channels, or just wipe out
all finetune values before starting mythbackend and things should work well.

Mike