[mythtv-users] Help sponsor MythTVMultiplex.

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Fri Apr 13 04:57:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 05:23 +0100, Stroller wrote:
--snip--
> The donations page that we were originally directed to refers to a
> slightly amorphous entity, "Open Source Partners", wishing to
> "sponsor" development of this feature - had that read "I, Johnny
> Strom, sole trader and TV Installer, am chipping in €500 out of my
> own pocket, who else is in?" then I'd feel much more comfortable
> about this relationship being "revealed" at this point. My gut
> reaction when I read your post (Chad) was that Edge Innovations Plc
> are sponsoring this feature "but let's see how much we can skim off
> the mythtv-users list first". Obviously this is quite a different
> characterisation, which could perhaps have been avoided.

Keep in mind that we don't really know what exactly is involved in the
project. I don't know how much the folks doing the coding are getting
paid or how long they expect it to take, but since I work as a contract
programmer, I can tell you that I typically charge $6000+ per month for
contract services, and that's just for me. If there's two programmers
working on it, either they're doing it very cheap, very quick, or
there's more money involved that we're not seeing.

However, as was pointed out earlier, I have no problems with a company
benefiting from open-source software, it happens all the time and that's
kind of how the model really works anyway. Though I agree that it would
be nice if the company in question was either pitching in more or at
least being more open about what exactly they're pitching in.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837