[mythtv-users] Help sponsor MythTVMultiplex.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 13 04:23:13 UTC 2007

On 12 Apr 2007, at 21:09, Chad wrote:

>> Is it true that guy behind this is Mr Christer Åkers, who also own
>> company
>> Edge Innovations (http://www.edgeinnovations.fi/) which is developing
>> commercial media center based in mythtv and their product would be
>> perfect
>> if it would be able to record multiple channels from one mux?
>> Or is it just harmless co-incidence that his own these both
>> companies (Open
>> Source Partners and Edge Innovations)?
>
> I don't see your point?  ...  If your intent is to
> "bring to light" the fact that this feature makes it so a company is
> potentially benefiting from this...  thanks for pointing out the
> obvious.

I thank Rami for pointing out what was not obvious to me.

I was naively thinking that "Open Source Partners" was some
organisation interested in helping sponsor MythTV for the "good of
open-source",

I have no objection to commercial usage of open-source software, or
to businesses making a buck (out of OSS, or otherwise), but €6000 is
darned cheap to get someone to code PVR functionality of this quality
& usefulness.

Were I an overdrawn undergraduate student I would be glad to have had
this brought to my attention before I chipped in my minimum €25
donation - that's probably quite a bit of beer, some places. It's
apparent from his posting (of Apr 5, 2007, 4:01 AM @ Gossamer) that
Johnny Strom has an agreement with Messrs Kristjansson, Grunaua &
Shrybman that this WILL get done as a paying job, so were I
particularly strapped for cash I might feel reluctant about
"subsidising Edge's business plan".

The 22% already raised by individuals in just a few days is really,
really good going - I don't want to put that down at all, and this
effort has clearly been far more successful at inducing individual
contributions than the previous "pledge" system.

The donations page that we were originally directed to refers to a
slightly amorphous entity, "Open Source Partners", wishing to
"sponsor" development of this feature - had that read "I, Johnny
Strom, sole trader and TV Installer, am chipping in €500 out of my
own pocket, who else is in?" then I'd feel much more comfortable
about this relationship being "revealed" at this point. My gut
reaction when I read your post (Chad) was that Edge Innovations Plc
are sponsoring this feature "but let's see how much we can skim off
the mythtv-users list first". Obviously this is quite a different
characterisation, which could perhaps have been avoided.

Of course, multiplex recording is potentially a VERY useful feature
to me - I'll undoubtedly try & swing a few quid the devs' way at some
point.

Stroller.