[mythtv-users] What does "IOBOUND begin cnt(2048) free(2047)" mean?

Evan Alter evan.alter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 04:21:45 UTC 2007

Recently I have been having trouble with my backend.  It will run fine
and then all of a sudden start spitting out these errors which pretty
much ruins the recording because chunks of it are missing when I go to
watch it.

2007-04-12 23:02:16.464 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND begin cnt(2048)
free(2047)
2007-04-12 23:02:16.472 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND end

At first I thought it must be a bottleneck with my hard drives but
then I started to notice that if I stop mythbackend and restart it i
can record 3 shows for like 15mins until the errors come back.  That
leads me to believe the hard drives can handle the load and this is a
problem somewhere else.

I tried searching the mailing list and found the problem isn't unique
to me but I got some really inconclusive answers to what could be the
cause of it.

If anyone knows whats wrong and how to fix it that would be great but
since no one seems to have gotten an answer I want to know what cnt
stands for.  Just looking at the log it seems to me that cnt, what
ever it is, is maxing out.

Thanks