[mythtv-users] Ok Backend seems worked out, in my head -- just a couple more frontend questions

Chris Funk cfunk30myth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 17:46:15 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, David Frascone <dave at frascone.com> wrote:

> Anyone?
>
> David Frascone wrote:
> > I'm budgeting out my frontend, and have some (probably very simple
> > questions)
> >
> > I'm hoping to replace my DVD Burner, DVD Player & Media Player, and,
> > obviously, PVR with a MythTV Frontend.  (File server will be the
> backend)
> >
> > I've seen the discussion on video cards.  'neuf said there.
> > And, I'll search the site later for cases, mobos, etc.
> >
> > My question is more on usability:
> >
> >     Will MythTV (the onscreen GUI) handle DVD Playing, Burning (burning
> > could be backend -- so not as important), VCD burning, Audio / Video
> > streaming (with windows codecs too?)?
> >
> > And, most importantly:  Can I network boot it?  If so, what amount of
> > RAM would you recommend?
> >
> > If not a network boot, perhaps a liveCD boot (although I'd like to only
> > have one drive)
> >
> > Hmm . . well -- with two drives, can MythTV make on the spot DVD copies?
> >

> > I think that's about it.
> >
> > -Dave
> >

> --
>
> David Frascone
>
>                     Free advice is worth what you pay for it

Hi David,

I'll try to answer at least a few of the questions based on my experience.

-Gui handles playing dvd's fine.  I use the internal player, but there are
still many that use mplayer (i think).
-Ripping dvd's couldn't be easier.  You can do it from the frontend via
MythArchive connected to backend via nfs or samba connection.  You can
create a straight iso file or transcode to several different settings for
smaller file size.
-Not sure on the VCD
-Yes, you can play windows files.  At least i've been able to play avi's
wmv's etc.  Pretty sure it did it out of the box. Don't remember installing
any windows codecs anyway.  Either way it can be done.
-Music files are easily playable through mythmusic as well.
-Yes you can network boot, but i've never done it so can't offer any help
there.
-Don't believe you can do disk to disk copies from within myth.  I just rip
it to an iso then burn that file.    All of that is done with MythArchive.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris