[mythtv-users] I thought you couldnt capture Componnet?

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Apr 12 02:08:31 UTC 2007

>yes thats what i said.  It has to capture the analog component signal
convert that to
>digital to get it on the computer then re-encode it in a lower res and
bitrate.

The analog component signal is initially captured at a lower resolution
(640x480). It is not captured at "high definition" resolution. That's why
it's so cheap.

How? Maybe using one of the chips that every HD cable/sat box has that
downsamples/filters from the component HD analog output to the composite SD
analog output. Those must be pretty cheap. Hook that to a commodity SD MPEG2
encoder and there's your SlingboxPRO.