[mythtv-users] Firewire and 5c

Len Reed crunchyfrog at charter.net
Wed Apr 11 21:56:55 UTC 2007

Chris Funk wrote:
>     Been a number of months since I had Comcast, but IIRC, the screen
>     with the important info was the Channel Status one (or if not that,
>     one of the other lower-numbered ones).  There was a line that said
>     either ENC or 0x43, depending on whether the channel would be
>     readable thru firewire.

I think that ENC is a false marker, likely correlated with 5C for most
channels but not the same.  I don't have Comcast, but I do have a
DCT6200 and the screen shot is the same as the one posted earlier in
this thread.  See below for what I see about 0x43.

As far as I can tell, ENC means encrypted.  Channels marked ENC
correspond exactly to those that my HD5000 DVB card cannot tune.  Those
unENCrypted (local channels) work both on the HD5000 DVB card and over
firewire.  There are a few channels, though, that are marked ENC but
that still work on firewire.  (MTVHD is one.)

What's causing me to tear my hair out is that a week ago I swear that
the box had all but those few channels and the non-ENC marked 5C.  In
fact, that is how I discovered that those channels should work over
firewire: they were not marked 5C but most others were.  Now, though,
d11 page 3 shows 5C off for all channels that I've checked.  Every
single one!  The entire d11 page 3 menu for IEEE1394 is the same for
every channel I've checked.  Still, though, firewire only works on the
unencrypted channels and that same handful of the encrypted ones.  This
leads me to think that I saw accurate 5C status elsewhere in the menus,
but I've looked at every single page.  Maybe I dreamt it.

d06 shows the following under authorization (digital channels only):
0x12 encrypted channels
0x43 clear channels
0x40 unauthorized channels (those I don't subscribe to)

Since I don't believe in magic, there must be something in the channel
setup that prevents the bulk of the digital channels from going out over
firewire.  Obviously, though, the status pages could be incorrectly
displaying 5C status.  Or maybe I'm just missing where it is even though
I found it once before.  Weird.