[mythtv-users] Mobo recommendations

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Apr 11 21:33:53 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> During the summer the two schools across the street installed about
> $500,000 of wifi and other hi-tech gear. They've taken over the entire
> 802.11 spectrum and knocked my wifi network completely off-line during
> school hours.

If it *is* the WiFi gear, the amplifiers may make matters worse unless
they've got good input filtering.  You may be suffering a phenomenon
known as "front-end overload," where a strong out-of-band signal pushes
enough power into the antenna to overwhelm the filtering in the tuner.
802.11 runs on 2.4 GHz, though, which is a long way from the 800 MHz
range that holds UHF TV channels, making this somewhat unlikely.