[mythtv-users] No ATI support for Myth says AMD

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Apr 11 19:18:11 UTC 2007

[deletia]
> So, when they say that they'll lose their competitive advantage, it means
> that they don't see any reward in opening themselves up to a boatload of
> legal liability.  The (currently) dominant operating system comes out with
> new releases every few years, and the API stays fairly constant, whereas
> the Linux kernel (far from dominant) breaks things regularly.  If I was

    Working in the games industry pretty much gave me the opposite
impression. Windows is constantly in flux. Infact, it's in such a
state of flux that the standard application installer procedure is
to "blow away" the current set of OS system files. This goes triple
for the game-centric stuff (DirectX).

    Direct3D came off as something that was a completely new API from
major release to major release. Backwards compatability was only
maintained by embedding all of the previous major releases in the
current one Apple-Universal-Binary style.

> running nVidia or AMD/ATI, I certainly know which operating system I'd
> make my products for (80%+ of the market) - less driver
> development/support effort on nVidia's part - helping keep costs down
> (whether that trickles down to the customer is a discussion for another
> time and place).

    The current state of drivers under Vista does not bear this out.

[deletia]