[mythtv-users] Which is better: Mythtv via component or vga/dvi?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:10:18 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Alex Malinovich <demonbane at the-love-shack.net> wrote:

> If you have a relatively new video card and TV you should also consider
> doing a DVI connection between the two. I'm using my DVI out on my Myth
> box to connect (via an adapter) to the HDMI input on the TV and the
> picture is gorgeous.

The other advantage of DVI is that there are no fears of ground loop
issues.  I used to use the tv-out of my PVR-350 and analog audio out,
and had buzzing and weird picture issues.  When I upgraded my box and
my tv, I went with a DVI->HDMI cable (can be had for under $10 if you
go to the right places online), and optical audio and eliminated these
problems.

A VGA->component converter is considerably more expensive as well.