[mythtv-users] Which is better: Mythtv via component or vga/dvi?

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Wed Apr 11 18:41:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 14:31 -0400, Rich West wrote:
> I know asking a "which is better" question is usually asking for
> trouble, but I am really just looking for opinions.  The reason I am
> asking is because I have a limited number of component inputs on my new
> tv, and I have more pieces that have component-capable output than I
> have inputs on the tv.
>
> Currently, I have my mythtv box connected via component video, and the
> picture is beautiful.  The set supports VGA input, and, as can be seen
> from a previous thread, I'm still tinkering to get the picture via that
> medium to play nicely. My other set is also connected via VGA, and it
> wasn't until today that I finally narrowed down the problem with my
> configuration: incorrect modeline setting (of course, I have to test
> this, but I believe it is the problem).
>
> However, that got me thinking: is component video any better or worse
> than pumping the video over VGA?  Does one buy you anything that the
> other does not?  Or am I basically comparing apples to apples?

That all depends on how your TV handles VGA. I have a 52" Panasonic that
does VGA input, but it only supports standard VGA resolutions (not
widescreen) and only goes up to 800x600 accurately. It'll do 1024x768
but you begin to see some artifacts. So in that type of setup, I'd
definitely stick with the component.

If you have a relatively new video card and TV you should also consider
doing a DVI connection between the two. I'm using my DVI out on my Myth
box to connect (via an adapter) to the HDMI input on the TV and the
picture is gorgeous.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837