[mythtv-users] Ok Backend seems worked out, in my head -- just a couple more frontend questions

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Wed Apr 11 16:58:58 UTC 2007

I'm budgeting out my frontend, and have some (probably very simple
questions)

I'm hoping to replace my DVD Burner, DVD Player & Media Player, and,
obviously, PVR with a MythTV Frontend.  (File server will be the backend)

I've seen the discussion on video cards.  'neuf said there.
And, I'll search the site later for cases, mobos, etc.

My question is more on usability:

    Will MythTV (the onscreen GUI) handle DVD Playing, Burning (burning
could be backend -- so not as important), VCD burning, Audio / Video
streaming (with windows codecs too?)?

And, most importantly:  Can I network boot it?  If so, what amount of
RAM would you recommend?

If not a network boot, perhaps a liveCD boot (although I'd like to only
have one drive)

Hmm . . well -- with two drives, can MythTV make on the spot DVD copies?

I think that's about it.

-Dave

--

David Frascone

                    Free advice is worth what you pay for it