[mythtv-users] No ATI support for Myth says AMD

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Apr 11 14:45:53 UTC 2007

> On 4/11/07, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 4/10/07, Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Their decision has to make Nvidia smile.
>> >

>> Yes Nvidia is smiling because they just have to continue doing the bare
>> minimum too support linux/mythTV and they will soon reach 99% market
>> share
>> by default.
>
> I hope not.   Yeah, they are better in Linux than ATI, but they still

    The ATI binary driver has been quite adequate for the embedded
video chipset on my MythTV systems. I thought that I might have some
motivation to flee to an nvidia based board but I have not found that
to be the case at all.

     For the purposes of MythTV, ATI & Nvidia seem to be interchangeable.

> only provide a closed source binary driver that has had more than its
> share of issues with slow response from nVidia.
>
> I'm hoping the intel GPU drivers continue on their path with fully
> open source drivers, and even a new more capable video acceleration
> API for MPEG2/MPEG4/WMV/H.264 (which intel developers are apparently
> working on, given recent messages in the xorg mailing list).

     Copyleft HW assist drivers for H.264 would be most cool.