[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Henrik Beckman henrik.list at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:26:19 UTC 2007

Ext2 and Ext3 wich is basicly is ext2 with a journal file has been around
for ages and it has been the default linux filesystem.
Primary development of ext3 is redhat based, I dare to say that ext3 is the
most stable linux filesystem today.

The bad thing with ext3 is that it is not of a modern design as xfs and jfs,
who in turn are inferior compared to zfs.

Ext3 and xfs has never let me down, I ran xfs in production prior to
inclusion in the standard kernel, back then deletes where slow on xfs.
ReiserFS and me has been nothing but problem, jfs I have never tried.

For myth filesystem is a non issue for me, the difference is neglible, we
are doing simple stuff with low concurency.
Separating on different spindels are a far more giving job than switching
filesystems as I see it.
Xfs, jfs or ext3 just donīt do major deletes while recording on ext3, I
havenīt had any stuttering problems though while deleting though.

Iīll (probaly)wait for zfs or something that brings a bit more  advantages
to the table before abandoning ext3.

/Henrik