[mythtv-users] Slow Deletes option?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 11 14:10:19 UTC 2007

On 04/11/2007 09:52 AM, William Munson wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
>
>> >From the "Best Filesystem Type" thread... where exactly is Slow Deletes?
>> I use ext3 and I believe I have this issue on occasion. I watched a show
>> the other night, finished it, deleted it, and the mythbackend crashed.
>> Monit brough it back up in short order, but 24 was recording at the time
>> so I have about a minute gap in the show...oops!
>>
>> So I'd really like to enable this option but I can't find it. I'm
>> running version 0.20-139.fc5.at. Is it in this version somewhere?
>>
> If I remember correctly, its on the first (general) settings page in
> mythtv-setup. Are you aware that with ext3  your maximum file size is
> 4Gb and trying to record a file larger than that will cause a crash?

$ ls -alS /srv/storage/mythtv/recordings1 | head -n 1
total 222787224
-rw-rw-r--  1 mythtv mythtv 16670946436 2006-12-16 22:00
1181_20061216200000.mpg

$ mount | grep recordings1
/dev/hda4 on /srv/storage/mythtv/recordings1 type ext3 (rw)

The maximum file size is between 16GiB and 2TiB, depending on block
size.  Using mke2fs defaults, I got a block size of 4096 bytes, meaning
I have a max of 2TiB per file and 16TiB per filesystem.  The choice of
4KiB blocks is pretty common for drives of the size you would use with
MythTV (got the same on my 160GB disks as on my 750GB disks).

You'd have to specifically request 1KiB blocks to have a 16GiB maximum
filesize (and that's definitely enough for most SDTV and probably enough
for most HDTV, but you wouldn't do that, anyway.).

>  You
> might want to think about switching your recording partition to XFS or
> another large file enabled filesystem.

Perhaps your data is coming from the Linux 2.2 (or was it 2.0) days...

Mike