[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Wed Apr 11 14:06:14 UTC 2007

> Then I burned the images of MythDora and KnoppMyth, and both use
> ext3 with no choice to use JFS, or ReiserFS, or any big journeying
> systems, so... what's the story?

I use XFS all over the place, it rocks.  I use it on many
production Linux systems at work, and at home.

Basically, I use ext3 for / and XFS for everything else.  I did some
benchmarks on small files (a Maildir that had gotten completely out of
hand, like 1.5G of small files) and the performance improvement over
ext3 was ridiculous, like 3 minutes to untar the directory on the new
box whereas I hit Ctrl-C after 45 minutes on ext3.

Of course, the big advantage for MythTV is that removing a large
file is instant.

Mark