[mythtv-users] Slow Deletes option?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 11 14:01:12 UTC 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 7:35 AM, James Pifer wrote:

>> From the "Best Filesystem Type" thread... where exactly is Slow
>> Deletes?
> I use ext3 and I believe I have this issue on occasion. I watched a
> show
> the other night, finished it, deleted it, and the mythbackend crashed.
> Monit brough it back up in short order, but 24 was recording at the
> time
> so I have about a minute gap in the show...oops!
>
> So I'd really like to enable this option but I can't find it. I'm
> running version 0.20-139.fc5.at. Is it in this version somewhere?

A delete, fast or "slow", shouldn't crash the backend, so even after
you find the option for slow deletes and enable it I think you will
still have the same problem you have now. You really need to find out
why the B/E is crashing.

The usual problem is that the delete blocks access to the drive
system until the operation is complete. If you are recording
something at the time of the delete and run out of buffer space you
will have a short gap in the recording.

On my system deleting anything of an hour or less does not cause a
problem. Only when I try and delete something over an hour (at 2.2GB/
hour) while a recording is in progress do I get into trouble, and
even that is only a brief (2 or 3 seconds) glitch in the recording.
I'm recording to a RAID0 array, I'm not sure if that is affecting the
matter.

So I simply do not delete anything over an hour if I'm recording, a
"workaround" yes, but it works for me. I don't have the slow delete
option because it's a 0.19 system.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org