[mythtv-users] No ATI support for Myth says AMD

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:59:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 05:15:44PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Maybe, maybe not. There are many cost factors involved.
> Documenting  the software involved, creating user documentation
> and keeping it up  to date, even if it's just a README file.
> Educating phone support  personnel about what to say when a caller
> asks about Myth or Linux.

I think it would be long-term cheaper AND better for the Linux
community if they focused their efforts on getting the drivers
open-sourced, and providing any hardware documentation they may
have.  In other words, let the open source community write, maintain
and support drivers for their hardware.

The community has never received a *good* response from either
nvidia or ATI on why their drivers remain closed source.  I know,
they've said they have NDAs with 3rd party suppliers, it would
reveal their trade secrets, give up competetive advantage... I feel
that all that is bunk, personally.

My $0.02,
Matt