[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 12:39:11 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/07, Chris Henderson <jchendo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 2/8/07, Craig Partin <cpartin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Can one of you who has this running give us an update?  Does it make a
> > > suitable frontend?  Can you play any HD content?  How does the video
> > > quality compare to a normal frontend? Are there any drawbacks or
> > > gotchas?
> > >
> > > I am considering one as a frontend and would appreciate any opinions.
> > >

> > I have to say that the one who must be obeyed asked me the other day if
> the
> > PS3 supports myth. Naturally i asked why, she answered "well if it does
> that
> > would get the damm computer out of the living room, so you can have one"
> >
> > so my interest level has increased dramatically!!!
> >
> > So i too would like to hear from people that have one running, with
> > performance and usability etc.
> >

> I've had mythtv running on my PS3 for a couple of weeks. Playing
> standard def PAL at 720p is pretty poor due to significant
> frameskipping.
>
> On the basis that all picture colour conversion, scaling etc is
> unaccelerated (as it uses a straight memory backed framebuffer), I
> decided to see how much that conversion/scaling costs. The answer - a
> lot.
>
> So to cut a long story short, I've knocked up a PS3 video output
> 'driver' that hooks directly into the framebuffer memory and offloads
> all the work to one of the SPUs (the supplementary processors on the
> Cell/PS3). It's early days yet but as of last night I had it
> displaying an unscaled/greyscale picture with the main processor (the
> PPU) running about 50-60% idle on each core.
>
> Obviously I need to get colour conversion and scaling implemented
> first, but after that there are plenty of issues such as vertical
> sync, OSD blending, pip, refresh rate detection, deinterlacers, xrandr
> equivalent  etc - and off course add 'Boot Game OS' to the exit menu
> options :)
>
> Given a little time, I think the PS3 will make an excellent frontend
> for SD playback. If anyone else manages to optimise ffmpeg for the
> Cell (beyond me), then it should make an excellent frontend all round
> (i.e. HD mpeg2/H264 as well).
>
> Regards
>
> Mark

Wow!  It sounds like you are making some serous progress.  I'm not really
sure how x.org video drivers work.  Is your SPU video accelerator going to
work with other x.org programs or only with mythTV?

I'd be happy to do some testing of your SPU video driver if that would
help.  Though the whole point of a game console is that a program will run
exactly the same on every system.