[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 11 07:36:34 UTC 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 11:21 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Robert Current wrote:
>> I was reading about MythTV for a few days before installing, and I
>> read because of the file size, ext2 and ext3 were not great choices,
>> but JFS was great...
>>
>> Then I burned the images of MythDora and KnoppMyth, and both use ext3
>> with no choice to use JFS, or ReiserFS, or any big journeying
>> systems,
>> so... what's the story?
>>

> The main problem with ext3 is deletes of large files block access
> to the
> filesystem while they're in progress.  MythTV has a workaround for
> this
> called "slow deletes" that solves the problem.

It "solves" the  problem only if Myth is the only program performing
deletes on that filesystem.

But having said that, I've been using an EXT3 filesystem for over a
year with no problems, I'm just careful about not deleting anything
over an hour long if a recording is happening.

The main thing about EXT3 is that the Linux support for it is stable
as heck and very well de-bugged on all platforms. Every other
filesystem is a crapshoot IMHO, even though they work well for a lot
of folks.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org