[mythtv-users] OT: Optimising 50Hz over 60Hz VGA (was: Smoother video playback?)

Flo flo at flobittner.de
Wed Apr 11 07:32:52 UTC 2007

> >> Unfortunately no - they only support 60Hz over VGA. Does your video
> >> card have dvi out?

> > In light of the above, are there any ways of improving PAL over 60Hz
> > VGA?

> Probably not. It's all to do with the number of frames-per-second the
> material was originally recorded at - I read an article about this a
> while ago and there are probably lots of other articles on the net if
> you search.

> As I understand it playing PAL means that 50 frames are played each
> second - in order to play that PAL material back at 60hz it means
> that you play back those same frames but also insert a few more each
> second to make up the difference. It's this one frame in 5 which is
> identical to the previous one that causes the "stutter" that I guess
> you're seeing.

> > The only solution I can see is to get a video card with component TV
> > Out; I'm not sure this annoyance merits the £40 expenditure.

That's right, i also wondered about this stutter in all recordings and videos
until i read some of the articles. My LCD TV only supports a refresh rate of
60 hz with "normal" resolutions (e.g. 1024x768, 1360x768) via D-SUB. In the
tv's manual i read that it only supports 50 hz with HD resolutions and only
via the DVI/HDMI port. So i had to buy an DVI-HDMI adapter and a HDMI-cable
and now the stutter is gone. It's much better now. Adapter and Cable were
around 60 €, not very cheap,  but your eyes will thank you :-)

There's only one thing left with my picture, sometimes there's like a wave
moving downwards through the picture. I think there's a difference in the
vertical sync of my lcd and the graphics card. But i'm not sure because it's
hard to describe and to find anything about that...