[mythtv-users] Linux for VIA EPIA-M

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 11 04:44:15 UTC 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 10:16 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Tom Weichmann wrote:
>> I know that this is a little off topic, but I am the proud owner
>> of a VIA EPIA
>> M fresh off eBay and I am looking for Linux distros that work with
>> this.  I
>> planned on using openSuSE 10.2, but it seems to not support the C3
>> processor
>> as the boot CD did not boot...
>>

> Odd, I've got one running OpenSUSE 10.1.

Way OT I guess, but:

I ran Gentoo on the machine for a while. It's an odd CPU in that in
some ways it behaves like a 686 class chip, but in others,
particularly media-related apps, it seems more like a 586. Somewhere
in the Gentoo docs is an explanation of this, and what apps are
better compiled for which set of instructions.

Also, if you compile your own apps, using -Os (optimize for size) can
result in better utilization of the relatively small cache on that CPU.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org