[mythtv-users] No ATI support for Myth says AMD

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Tue Apr 10 23:49:58 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Understanding something is good, but that doesn't make it right.  I
> know why some people choose to drive extremely fast (to work for
> example) but that doesn't mean it's ok.  Because ATI/AMD have chosen
> not to support MythTV at this time, they are choosing to screw
> themselves out of x amount of dollars.  If x is a constant (which it's
> not) and time stands still (or remains the same indefinitely), AND the
> cost of developing those drivers is greater than x, then it was a good
> decision.  Somehow, I doubt any of that is true though, which makes it
> a bad decision, IMO.

Nvidia doesn't "support" mythtv either.  Call their support line with
a question about processor usage during HD playback in myth and see if
you get "put useevents in your xorg.conf" or if you get "call your
software vendor."

No one knows yet what this KB article means.  I seriously doubt it
means that they've done something specific that prevents mythtv from
running.  It's more likely that something odd happened during testing,
especially considering that they're not supporting ANY opengl
compositing window managers either.