[mythtv-users] No ATI support for Myth says AMD

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 23:20:51 UTC 2007

> Their decision has to make Nvidia smile.

The KB article as written is very confusing, and I actually rated the
article as "poor" and asked them for further clarification.

I'm not sure if by missing "MythTV" support that they mean a missing
OpenGL extension (for example, OpenGL Vsync) or the ability to capture
data from the Rage Theater chip present on the All-In-Wonder models.  If
it's the former, then shame on them (because it likely impacts the OpenGL
desktops), but if it's the latter, then nVidia has basically said the same
thing.

I've been using nVidia cards for my MythTV machines since pretty much the
beginning because of their "superior" support (although I dislike the
binary blob, it is better than nothing at all), and that decision is now
likely to filter down into my Windows machines as well.  (My ATI X800XL
died recently, and I need to replace it with something, I hadn't decided
in nVidia vs. ATI.)

-- Joe

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com