[mythtv-users] No ATI support for Myth says AMD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 10 23:15:44 UTC 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Chad wrote:

> So, although it's still not billions, it sure seems 'cost effective'
> to actually do it.

Maybe, maybe not. There are many cost factors involved. Documenting
the software involved, creating user documentation and keeping it up
to date, even if it's just a README file. Educating phone support
personnel about what to say when a caller asks about Myth or Linux.

Taking the negative publicity into account if there is a problem or a
glitch somewhere in their "support" of Myth.

And don't forget that outfits like AMD depend on "business partners",
some of whom are the notorious "hollywood types". Supporting Myth
might cost them business that would wind up going to their main
competitor. Hollywood still sees not just Myth users but Linux users
in general as a "bunch of pirates" (and discussions here about
ripping DVDs don't exactly help that situation).

Think about ALL the factors, not just the part that effects you
directly.

I don't like their decision, but I certainly understand it.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org