[mythtv-users] Panasoinc TH58VX600U

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Apr 10 20:54:17 UTC 2007

Craig Partin wrote:
>> We just broke down and bought a new plasma for our main home theater,
>> replacing our aging projection TV.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone has gone through the necessary steps in order
>> to get this particular TV to display MythTV properly?  It has the VGA
>> connection on it, but, with the lack of success I have had so far, I am
>> tempted to go back to trying the component connection.
>>
>> Anyhow, X is seeing:
>> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "640x480"
>> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "848x480"
>>
>> And, up until I added the 640x480 option, it would try to display at
>> 848x480, which looked hideous.  I added 640x480, and, while the display
>> looks much better, mythcenter-wide's icons are way off to the right
>> (partially off of the screen) and displaying video is way larger than
>> what is being displayed on the screen.
>>
>> Not being an X expert or a MythTV expert, I've started trying some minor
>> changes, but, apparently, this isn't like the small LCD screen that we
>> have in our family room (I even tried copying the xorg.conf file from
>> that system).
>>
>> Any ideas as to where to start?  I did a quick search through the wiki,
>> and, I admit, I wasn't too detailed in my searching as I now have a low
>> WAF on the setup and kids clamoring to watch.
>>

> Form reading about this set on avsforum I believe that you can;t get
> 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA and trying to drive the set at its native
> resolution is a mistake, due to the rectangular pixels.  Might not be
> the same for the big set, I was reading about the 42".  The consensus
> was to drive the set with a 720p or 1080p resolution.

Hrmm.. drats.  I did move over to component at 720p, and the picture was
awesome.  Of course, I could have gotten the 60U for about $400 less,
but I paid the premium for the PC input (I guess) which it looks like I
wont be using. :(

Although, I guess the up-side is that the set was one of the top rated
ones (#1 or #2 depending on the list I found).  The 60U was in the top
ten (#10).  *shrug*  Guess I should have researched it more..

Actually, wait.. maybe I mis-read/mis-understood this.  When you said to
use a 720p or 1080p resolution, would that be over VGA, or over component?

Thanks for the quick response.  This list rocks. :)

-Rich