[mythtv-users] Panasoinc TH58VX600U

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:47:47 UTC 2007

> We just broke down and bought a new plasma for our main home theater,
> replacing our aging projection TV.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has gone through the necessary steps in order
> to get this particular TV to display MythTV properly?  It has the VGA
> connection on it, but, with the lack of success I have had so far, I am
> tempted to go back to trying the component connection.
>
> Anyhow, X is seeing:
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "640x480"
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "848x480"
>
> And, up until I added the 640x480 option, it would try to display at
> 848x480, which looked hideous.  I added 640x480, and, while the display
> looks much better, mythcenter-wide's icons are way off to the right
> (partially off of the screen) and displaying video is way larger than
> what is being displayed on the screen.
>
> Not being an X expert or a MythTV expert, I've started trying some minor
> changes, but, apparently, this isn't like the small LCD screen that we
> have in our family room (I even tried copying the xorg.conf file from
> that system).
>
> Any ideas as to where to start?  I did a quick search through the wiki,
> and, I admit, I wasn't too detailed in my searching as I now have a low
> WAF on the setup and kids clamoring to watch.

Form reading about this set on avsforum I believe that you can;t get
1:1 pixel mapping over VGA and trying to drive the set at its native
resolution is a mistake, due to the rectangular pixels.  Might not be
the same for the big set, I was reading about the 42".  The consensus
was to drive the set with a 720p or 1080p resolution.